Tuesday, January 31, 2012

29.5 weeks

Still plugging along, gestating every day.

I went in and did my one hour glucose test, which is a screening to see whether you should be checked out more thoroughly for gestational diabetes. My paperwork was labelled "Diagnosis: Pregnancy" which I find hilarious. I guess it's true, but it sounds like a doctors tv show that plays well in the mid-west US, with a thinly veiled Christian undercurrent. Major show themes would be various unexpected pregnancies and counselling to keep the babies, happy times for baby keepers, woe on the rest!

Anyhoodle, everything is moving along. I am thinking a lot about cribs and trying to decide of the older one we got used is safe enough or not. Choices in Town are very limited and so I'm not sure. I will continue to waffle a bit longer I suppose.

I'm still loving corn flakes with blueberries.

Also I failed that one hour glucose test so tomorrow morning I'm off to the hospital for the 2 hour version, compete with fasting and multiple blood draws. Should be a good time. I am hoping I am not gestationally diabetic (sp? haha) mostly for medical safety but not insignificantly because going off sweets cold turkey would be very tough for me! Carbs are whatever, but no more sugar...I shudder to think.

If I tug my belly up a little bit i can plainly see the bottom of my belly button. Totally unsettling experience and sometimes I squish my belly together so it looks normal again, for a few seconds. I can't feel it so that's fine, it just looks weird.

I got my first "hey are you sure it isn't twins" comment this week. I said it would be more efficient if she were twins, but maybe next time.

In the meantime I am enjoying this pregnancy lots and starting to wonder more about what the baby will look like and what will she like and not like, which is fun. We are trying to sort out space in our house and make room for some newer things and figure out what we need to get by for the first while. Soon I will be emptying the freezer from extra food and filling it again with meals and other nesting things. I actually voluntarily cleared out and washed 2 cupboards the other day, which could only be hormone driven, but who chooses that?!

Work is good, I'm getting to the point of tying up loose ends and thinking about the person who should be taking over for me (a person not yet found). I am dreaming of sleeping in and nesting full time or just sleeping all day, whichever feels more compelling.

It's a nice time in my life just now.

1 comment:

K said...

So glad to hear everything is going so well. You sound happy and you look great. It's obvious pregnancy agrees with you!