Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Activity Updates

So it's been about a month since I wrote about my change in mentality and grabbing life by the short 'n' curlies to max it out. I'm pleased to report that things are going great (does that mean I have a mittful of short 'n' curlies? I need a new metaphor).

I've continued bike commuting each day, rain or shine and have gotten in a couple more mountain bike rides locally. I've been out camping to the Tombstone mountain range during fall colour changes with my parents and Rob, which is a world class destination. I've established with Rob that we're getting cross country ski passes to the 75 KM of trails located 5 minutes from our house and I have a couple of pals who want to set regular ski dates. I'm cultivating my "yes" into the universe and taking more responsibility for my own happiness day to day. It still feels good, if a bit more normalized. It's good.

Life here is really such a gift, work is interesting and good, I have a great partner and a good home and more opportunity that is fair. Way more. So it's just appalling that I could overlook that even for a minute, you know? The complacency that comes from comfort and bounty I guess. So yeah, it's going pretty well. Yay.
*******************

So my parents were just up for over a week and are just at the airport this minute, waiting for their flight into a blue sky. They were lovely and we all had such a nice time. We ate out in a couple new places (to us) and we found out that Whitehorse actually has some fine dining opportunities, which is pretty cool. We had a wonderful time driving the 600+ KM to the Tombstone Mountain Range through the most vibrant fall colours the Territory has on offer, deep reds and bright yellows, and even still some green. We visited Dawson City, old school gold mining town that keeps its unpaved roads, boardwalks and historical buildings in original shape (sometimes that means the buildings are melting into the ground slowly).

We did some hikes, camped for 4 night and experienced sunlight, wind, hail , torrential rain and witnesses the first snow on the mountain tops...It had to be 10-15 degrees C cooler up there than in Whitehorse! In Whitehorse it feels like the summer side of fall, in Tombstone it felt like the winter side of fall. It was exciting, winter is coming! (heh, for those of you that watched/read King of Thrones).

*********************************
Just for funsies, Rob decided to acquire symptoms of appendicitis and spend the afternoon in emerg yesterday. They did some tests and said maybe appendicitis, maybe a rando intestinal infection (yerg) or maybe kidney stones. They basically sent him home to let it fester so it would be easier to pinpoint (no cure for the common cold but they can treat pneumonia!). He woke up feeling not worse and possibly a mite better and opted for work, so we'll just watch and see if he gets worse and has something to treat.

Incidentally it makes me feel better that I finally learned to drive the car because my face would sure be red if Rob had a burst appendix and I couldn't get him to the hospital! (note sarcasm, this possibility is not an option, imagine the shame and guilt...nope, had to learn). Since he hasn't called to let me know he's gone back in to the hospital I assume he's doing fine. Yay!

***************************************
I've been deeply neglecting my garden, which is a total shame to myself since I know I have wasted broccoli at least, peas and maybe zucchini too, which I DON'T want to talk about, ugh. But I need carrots and to not suck at taking care of the garden, where did my gumption go? Maybe it was that 2 of our 3 cabbages were stolen? First time we've experienced garden theft, I suspect hooligans since who wants cabbage for anything but lobbing at cars, right? And borscht, but I'm skeptical that some meemaw in a babushka came by to yoink my cabbage. So.

Oh well, I do hope at least someone ate it.

What's new with you? Summer's well over here and it's fall colours and time to think about knitting again. Anybody thinking of a winter adventure? We might do something radical this winter and go on a true holiday in the sun. Maybe. You?

No comments: